Wednesday, October 27

Acorn Squash Quinotto


Experimenting in the kitchen

Last weekend I went up to Jackson Heights to visit a friend.  After a long and fulfilling meal at Urubamba, we passed by some grocery stores where I did my fair share of shopping for Peruvian products. Among my spoils were cancha, yuca, aji (amarillo y rocoto), olluquito and quinoa.

I have never actually cooked with quinoa before, so I thought it'd be an interesting experiment to make some quinotto, a Peruvian version of risotto (as per my dad's suggestion).  I have the bad habit of never following recipes...or better said, making things up as I go along.  In this case, I wanted to use ingredients that were already in my kitchen.


Those included the quinoa, acorn squash (roasted, peeled and chopped), baby spinach, pancetta and parmesan cheese. Usually, if I had a bottle of white wine in the fridge, I'd pour a little in.  But in this case I didn't, so I added a little bit of beer instead (what the hell?). The thing I liked about the quinoa is that it doesn't require quite the same amount of tending and supervision as a traditional risotto.  I just ladle in the broth and wait for it to be soaked up.  Minimum stirring necessary.
 
The whole thing took about 20-25 min. Topped it off with some pepper (no salt needed, in this case the beef broth was salty enough) and a little more parmesan before serving.  My guinea pig was Jeremy, who said it was good, but no more than a glorified side dish.  I bear in mind that he is quite critical of meals without meat.


2 comments:

Bianca said...

Ja!
When you started the penultimate sentence with 'My guinea pig was...', I thought to myself, holy shit, she found herself some cuy in brooklyn! But it should not be as such, merely she meant the metaphorical guinea pig. Well, that simply means that I must start posting on the culinary delicacy that is cuy in the valley. Also, I didn't know that the spot was called Urubamba, funny seeing as how when you dined in Urubamba, I think I was in Urubamba.

El Ayllu said...

Yes, I know...everytime I read that I'd think of cuy too....this means we must have some cuy on here soon!