Thursday, October 28

Beef Empanadas I

Part 1


Marina has been a fixture in the Crousillat and Freeman households for three generations.  She was first hired by my grandma, Trixie,  as help around the house.  She cooked and cleaned.  She was uncle Colin's nanny. When the third generation was born, she took care us.  Feeding us, playing with us, cleaning up after us. Later on in life she worked as caregiver to my grandfather Oreste before he passed away.

She never married, never had a family.  She devoted a great part of her life to us.

Marina
Born in the province of Ancash, Marina left her village and never looked back.  Now, in her late 70's, she lives in a little room in Lima. I owe a great part of who I am, and my love for food, to Marina. This recipe is dedicated to her.

Cordillera Blanca, Ancash Province



As she was often around in my childhood, I spent a lot of time with her in the kitchen. From the age where I was old enough to bang on pots and pans, to my teens when I would hide from the stresses of family life in the warmth of her cocina. All that time I would watch her cook. Sometimes she'd even let me help.

One of her more memorable recipes was for papa rellena.  I've tried recreating it to no avail (I blame it on the lack of fresh papa amarilla in the States).  But I have found that her stuffing - a combination of ground beef, cinnamon, cumin, raisins, olives and eggs - works amazingly well in the traditional empanada. It may not be anything original, but I learned it from her.

Since the recipe is quite long, I've split it into two parts.  This first part will cover the dough.

Ingredients

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 stick (1/2 c) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in cubes
1/3 c ice water
1 large egg
1 T white vinegar

1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.  Blend in butter with fingertips until mix resembles a coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps.


2. Beat together egg, water and vinegar in a small bowl.  Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork until just incorporated.  The mix will look shaggy.

 3. Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface.  Gather and knead gently once or twice, just enough to bring the dough together.  Form the dough into a flat rectangle, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least one hour. While you wait, make the filling.

4. Once the filling is done, divide dough into 12 equal pieces and form each into a disc.  Keep remaining pieces covered and roll 1 piece into a 5 inch round (about 1/8 in thick). Repeat step for the rest of the discs.




1 comment:

Bianca said...

So, should the dough look like the Jamaican-Americam reggae artist nee Orville Richard Burrell or more like Scooby-Doo's somewhat awkward, yet refreshingly pre-hipster, hipster cohort?