Monday, November 8

Black Beans




Frijoles negros. Any kid living in Latin America will eat a lot of these, often, and as a side with almost any meal. And I hated them. Nowadays I'm a convert. I always have a pot of black beans either soaking, simmering, or ready for use in the fridge. It takes a little forethought - what with the soaking over night - but it's certainly worth the extra time.


Between work and the studio, it can be difficult to set aside the time to cook. Frijoles are one of those staples that I have ready to go in case I'm too tired, too busy or just plain lazy. I use them to make a great dinner out of the odds and ends sitting in the kitchen: Nachos, quesadillas, soups, or - my favorite -  served with rice and two fried eggs, sunny-side up.


I got this recipe from the health column of the New York Times. Although I've tweaked it here and there (more garlic, fresh lime juice, extra salt) the drill is basically the same. For the full recipe,  click here.


 

No comments: