Sunday, November 7

Eggs a la "Garden of Eden"



From Hemingway's The Garden of Eden:
On this morning there was brioche and red raspberry preserve and the eggs were boiled and there was a pat of butter that melted as they stirred them and salted them lightly and ground pepper over them in the cups.  They were big eggs and fresh and the girl's were not cooked quite as long as the young man's.  He remembered that easily and he was happy with his which he diced up with the spoon and ate with only the flow of the butter to moisten them and the fresh early morning texture and the bite of the coarsely ground pepper grains and the hot coffee and the chickory-fragrant bowl of cafe au lait.
 This was my inspiration to make the "perfect" soft-boiled eggs.


After doing some research, I decided to take the longer route.  Instead of boiling the eggs, I turned off the heat at the moment the water reached a boil.  I then added the eggs, covering them and allowing them to sit 12-15 minutes. 







I served the eggs as described above, with warm french bread, raspberry preserves, some butter, pepper and salt.  I also added some pancetta to each serving. Sometimes I add a few slices of avocado to give the eggs an added lightness.


1 comment:

Bianca said...

There's something innately special and odd about Hemingway's writing. I can't say that it's simplicity has ever inspired me to cook, but I like your take. Cook for me one day!